Know More About Us
The Ghana Robotics Academy Foundation was founded by Dr Ashitey Trebi-Ollennu in 2011 as a nonprofit volunteer organization dedicated to motivating and inspiring the next generation of Ghanaians interest and participation in science and technology. Ghana Robotics Academy Foundation will pioneer science education through administering hands-on robotics workshops and competitions throughout Ghana for Junior Secondary Schools, Senior Secondary Schools and Colleges. The impetus behind this dedication to robotics education is that in Europe, North America and Asia robotics teams are catching on with students, igniting their passion for technology, engineering, and fever-pitched competition. Demonstrating that robotics workshops are an ideal way to captivate young minds and stimulate critical thinking.
One of the major challenges for Ghana will be ensuring younger generations obtain competitive technical skills through higher education, the scientific and technological building blocks critical to economic leadership. As these well educated and technology savvy Ghanaian students enter the work-force over the next few years as entrepreneurs, they will help Ghana's fast-growing, low middle income economy continue to grow, and will help in the formation of the increasingly important and dynamic services sectors and knowledge-based economic enterprises. This will also result in a broadly shared prosperity in Ghana through a more educated and skilled student body that is interested in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Unless young Ghanaians are inspired and energized to pursue STEM, Ghana faces the risk of falling behind the technological workforces of India, China, and South East Asia nations.Ghana Robotics Academy will provide a new high-level initiative in science and technology that will be an outstanding recruitment tool for young Ghanaian scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs.
- Facilitate the formation of Robotics/Science Clubs in Public and Private Junior Secondary Schools, Senior Secondary Schools, Colleges and Youth groups in Ghana. By providing assistance with acquisition of robotics systems (LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0), software, computers and curriculum.
- Organize annual hands-on robotics workshops and competitions throughout Ghana for Teachers, Junior Secondary Schools, Senior Secondary Schools and Colleges using the LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 system.
- Foster Ghanaian teams participation in International Robotics Competitions such as the RoboCup (http://www.robocup.org/), First LEGO League (http://www.firstlegoleague.org/) etc.
- Transform robotics programs from after-school activity to Junior Secondary School and Senior Secondary School curriculum.
Board of Directors
- Ashitey Trebi-Ollennu, Dr (Founder)
- Yaw Okraku-Yirenkyi, Dr (Founding Member)
- George Nii Ashitey Kofi Ollenuu (Founding Member)
- Samuel Kwesi Dickson (Founding Member)
- Thomas Kwabena Owusu (Member)
- Michael Wilson (Member)
- Asabea Asare-Mintah (Member)